Adolescent Clinical Care
- Adolescents and Young Adults in Title V Transformation: This Powerpoint presentation was used to lead a skills building session at the 2015 AMCHP Annual Conference. Some of the topics covered include the health issues and health care needs of adolescents and young adults, focusing in on the the Affordable Care Act and opportunities for improving preventive services.
- Approach to the Unique Care of Adolescents: This PowerPoint presentation discusses general principles of clinical adolescent care including psychosocial screening, and physical examination.
- Risk-Taking Behavior During Adolescence: This PowerPoint presentation includes prevalence of risk taking behaviors, theoretical models, risk taking in the context of the bio-psycho-social development of adolescents, and screening and counseling techniques for clinicians.
- Asking about Substance Use in the Biopsychosocial Interview: This Powerpoint presentation covers risk-taking behaviors, substance abuse trends, substance use in the context of adolescent development, implications, and guidance for clinical practice.
- Recognizing and Managing Depression in Primary Care: In May 2015, NAHIC’s Dr. Charles Irwin presented at the 48th Annual Advances & Controversies in Clinical Pediatrics Conference in San Francisco, CA. This presentation focuses on primary care management of adolescent depression, including screening, diagnosis and treatment options.
Handouts and other resources:
NEW! Adolescent Preventive Services Clinical Toolkit: This toolkit, designed for use by clinicians, synthesizes adolescent preventive service recommendations from USPSTF, Bright Futures: Guidelines for Health Supervision of Infants, Children, and Adolescents, and American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. The kit consists of a one-page summary document, for printing and quick reference, and a longer supplemental document, which provides details about risk factors and screening tests
Adolescent and Young Adult Measure Set: New from NAHIC’s partner NIPN, this set of standard process measures is intended to be used as a reference tool to provide guidance to practices measuring improvement in health care quality specific to adolescents and young adults.
Clinical Preventive Services for Adolescents: Developed for a meeting of State Adolescent Health Coordinators in Title V Maternal and Child Health Programs in 2013, this handout serves as an introduction to adolescent preventive services.
- Strengthening Preventive Care to Better Address Multiple Health Risks Among Adolescents: This report summarizes the proceedings of the Adolescent Preventive Services Institute held at the American College of Preventive Medicine’s 2010 Annual meeting.
Young Adult Preventive Care
Handouts and Tools:
- NEW! Preventive Services Clinical Toolkit: This toolkit, designed for use by clinicians, synthesizes young adult preventive service recommendations from USPSTF, Bright Futures: Guidelines for Health Supervision of Infants, Children, and Adolescents, and American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. The kit consists of a one-page summary document, for printing and quick reference, and a longer supplemental document, which provides details about risk factors and screening tests. (updates April 2016)
- Clinical Preventive Services for Young Adults: Developed for a meeting of State Adolescent Health Coordinators in Title V Maternal and Child Health Programs in 2013, this handout serves as an introduction to young adult preventive services.
- Preventive Health Care Recommendations for Young Adults: This table, an excerpt from “Young Adult Preventive Health Care Guidelines: There, but Can’t be Found,” compares and contrasts preventive care recommendations for young adults from different sources, including the United States Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF).
- Health Care Data for Adolescents and Young Adults: An Overview of Major Data Sources: This reference document provides an overview of large publicly available data sets that periodically examine health status and health care access, utilization, and quality among adolescents and young adults. It is intended primarily for audiences who are interested in these issues and have the capacity to conduct secondary data analyses of large data sets.
- Clinical Toolkit for Adolescent and Young Adult Males: The Toolkit, created by The Partnership for Male Youth, is an online resource for health care providers who interact with males ages 10-26 and covers nine major health domains. It contains tools, methods and reference materials for screening and assessment of risk among male patients aged 10 through 26 in nine major areas; healthy eating and physical activity, sexual and reproductive health, trauma, substance use disorders, mental health, developmental disorders, sexual biologic basics, normal pubertal concerns and genital abnormalities and tests and immunizations.
- Preventive Services Evidence Fact Sheet
This Fact Sheet summarizes the evidence base for adolescent and young adult health clinical preventive services, with emphasis on those services recommended by the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force
For questions about any of the PowerPoint presentations and/or listed sources, please contact us, and we would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.